CITY OF MADISON, WI (August 21, 2019) –A single fire sprinkler extinguished a mattress fire in one of the rooms of a west side hotel, August 15 at 12:11 a.m. As firefighters entered the hotel, a manager notified them that the mattress had already been brought outside. They went outside to ensure the mattress was fully extinguished.

A guest at the hotel explained to firefighters that he was “trying to put out bed bugs with a cigarette.” When the mattress caught fire, the automatic sprinkler activated.

There were no reported injuries.

Source: Cynthia Schuster, Public Information Officer, City of Madison Fire Department