Fire Sprinklers at Work – Successful Activations
If you have a fire sprinkler save to report, please contact NFSA-WI State Coordinator Marty King at (414) 531-9542.
2019 Successful Activations
Bar and Grille Fire Contained by a Single Fire Sprinkler
FOND DU LAC, WI (August 28, 2019) – A single fire sprinkler kept a fire from spreading at the recently opened Top Shelf Sports Bar & Grille early in the morning on Monday, August 25. A fire in a bucket caused by rags that spontaneously combusted activated a fire sprinkler working in “one location” which helped to contain the fire at its starting point, according to Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue.
Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue responded to the call from the Fond du Lac police department who heard the fire alarm while conducting a traffic stop at 1:20 a.m.
There were no injuries reported and the fire damage was limited to the bucket and a cart.
Source: Post Crescent
Fire Sprinkler Extinguished Mattress Fire At West Side Hotel
CITY OF MADISON, WI (August 21, 2019) –A single fire sprinkler extinguished a mattress fire in one of the rooms of a west side hotel, August 15 at 12:11 a.m. As firefighters entered the hotel, a manager notified them that the mattress had already been brought outside. They went outside to ensure the mattress was fully extinguished.
A guest at the hotel explained to firefighters that he was “trying to put out bed bugs with a cigarette.” When the mattress caught fire, the automatic sprinkler activated.
There were no reported injuries.
Source: Cynthia Schuster, Public Information Officer, City of Madison Fire Department
A Fire Sprinkler Prevented a Garage Fire From Spreading
MADISON, WI (July 27, 2019) – A fire sprinkler contained a fire that broke out in a condominium garage on Catalina Parkway in Madison shortly after midnight July 17.
An electric bike left on a charger, which caused the battery on the bike to ignite, caused the fire. The owner advised that the electric portion of the e-bike was an aftermarket kit they had purchased.
Damage was isolated to the bike. Firefighters extinguished the remaining fire. They found that the sprinkler system kept the fire from spreading into the living space within the complex.
Source: City of Madison Fire Department, Cynthia Schuster, Public Information Officer
Fire Sprinkler Kept Fire From Spreading In a Trash Collection Room at Apartment Complex
BROOKFIELD, WI (July 13, 2019) – A fire sprinkler contained a dumpster fire in a 120 unit three-story apartment building parking garage located on Riverbirch Drive in Brookfield on Saturday, July 13 at 5:42 p.m. The fire started in a dumpster in a trash collection room.
Firefighters extinguished the fire that was caused by improper disposal of smoking materials. The structure and building sustained no smoke, heat or water damage.
“This was an absolute textbook example of the effectiveness of automatic sprinkler systems in protecting occupants in a large, multi-family dwelling.” said Deputy Chief Erdman, Brookfield Fire Department.
Source: Brookfield Fire Department
Fire Sprinklers Prevent Fire from Spreading in Recycling Plant
ONALASKA, WI (July 11, 2019) –Fire sprinklers controlled a fire in the shredder area of an electronics recycling plant in Onalaska on July 9 at 8:40 a.m. Firefighters extinguished the fire a short time later.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. There were no injuries.
Source: WXOW ABC News 19
2018 Successful Activations
- Dycora Transitional Health & Living (Watertown), Dycora Transitional Health & Living (Glendale), Wire Works Apartments (Appleton), Lucky Apartments High-Rise (Madison), Johnson Refrigerated Truck Bodies (Rice Lake), Apartment Building (Madison)
- Slumberland Furniture (Madison), Lincoln School Apartments (Racine), HFI Fluid Power Products (Racine), Stepping Stone Apartments (Wisconsin Dells), Normandy Apartments (Madison)
- Expera Specialty Solutions (Kaukauna), Toys “R” Us (Brookfield), Apartment Building (Madison), Harborside Commons Senior Apartments (Kenosha), Multifamily Building (Oak Creek), Apartment (Denmark), Shopko (Madison), Madison Kipp Corporation (Sun Prairie), Office Building (Madison)
- Kangaroo Milwaukee (Milwaukee), Dragon I (Madison), Industrial Building (Jackson), Presto Absorbent Products (Eau Claire), Apartment (Manitowoc), Apartment (Madison), Apartment (Madison), University of Wisconsin-Parkside Student Center (Kenosha), Manufacturing Plant (Brookfield)
- YWCA (Madison), Radisson Hotel (Madison), Century City Lofts (Milwaukee), Mercury Marine (Fond du Lac), Marine Technology (Ashwaubenon), Apartment (Appleton), Epiphany-Rose Office Building (Appleton), La Chimenea (Germantown), Park Place Tech (Milwaukee), Our House Senior Living (Rice Lake), Apartment Building (St. Francis), Cascades Tissue Group (Eau Claire), Dave & Busters (Wauwatosa), Jersey Mike’s (Wauwatosa), Badger Corrugating (La Crosse), Worzalla Publishing (Stevens Point)
- Tommy Thompson Commerce Center (Madison), Madison Kipp Corporation (Sun Prairie), Edgewater Hotel (Madison), Mercury Marine (Fond du Lac)
- Huebsch Linen Services (Eau Claire), YWCA (Madison), Multifamily Residence (Madison), Strip Mall Business (Osh Kosh), Apartment (Madison), Apartment (Osh Kosh), Tabor Oaks Assisted Living (Madison), Bamboo House (Plover), The Cove of Lake Geneva (Lake Geneva), Metal Refinishing Company (Eau Claire), Owens Industries (Oak Creek), Warehouse (Ashwaubenon), Seester’s Mexican Cantina (Pewaukee)
- Kersten Lumber (Birnamwood), Apartment Building (Madison), Tower Apartments at Oakwood Village West (Madison), Enviro Tire Management (Green Bay), Waste Management (Germantown), Capital Newspapers (Madison), New Fountain Apartments (Fitchburg), Strip Mall (Milwaukee), Yahara River View Apartments (Madison)
- Glacier Hills Apartment Building (Madison), McCain Foods (Appleton), Milwaukee Country Club (Milwaukee), Pierce Manufacturing (Appleton), Riverwalk Place (Appleton), St. John’s Apartments (Eau Claire)
- Apartment Building (Brown Deer), Apartment Building (Grand Chute), Apartment Building (Madison), Best Western (Eau Claire), Cascade Tissue Group (Eau Claire), Coventry Retirement Community (Madison), Emerson Hall Apartments (Beloit), Harbor House (Appleton), Mercury Marine (Fond du Lac), McMynn Tower Apartments (Racine), Office Building (Appleton), Pullmans (Appleton), Quad/Graphics (Lomira), Sprecher’s Restaurant & Pub (Lake Geneva), TTM Technologies (Chippewa Falls)
- Cortland Commons Apartments (Madison), County Inn & Suites (West Bend), Elizabeth Residence (Bayside), KJ’s Curry Bowl (Madison), Multifamily Senior Living Facility (Menomonee Falls), Pinedale Apartments (Onalaska), Quad Med (Sussex), St. Joseph Nursing Home (La Crosse), Trinity Senior Community (Madison), University of Wisconsin Medical Sciences Building (Madison)
- American Aluminum Extrusion (Beloit), Apartment (Madison), Apartment Building (Pleasant Prairie), Applebee’s (Menomonee Falls), Aramark Uniform Service (Madison), Clearwater Paper (Menasha), Commercial Building (Fitchburg), F. Ziegler Manufacturing Solutions (North Fond du Lac), Horizon Elementary School (Sun Prairie), Humane Manufacturing (Janesville), Multi-Use Building (Eau Claire), Pick ‘n Save (Fond du Lac), Radisson Hotel (Menomonee Falls), Residential Garage (Madison), Stone Harbor Resort & Conference Center (Sturgeon Bay), Vollrath Company (Sheboygan), Warehouse (Edgerton), Wasabi Restaurant (Brookfield), Waterview Senior Apartments (Sheboygan), Williams Town Bay Apartments (McFarland)
- Apartment Building (Sun Prairie), Multifamily Building (West Allis), Strip Mall (Sun Prairie)
- Apartment (West Bend), Dejno’s Inc. (Antigo), Kenworth Truck Company (Oak Creek), La Quinta Inn (Wausau), Paradise Lanes Bowling (Mount Pleasant), Park Towers (Eau Claire), Prairie Landings Apartments (Sharon)
Please see archived Fire Sprinkler Times print newsletters for fire sprinkler saves in Wisconsin prior to 2011.