March 2014

Riverwalk Place

The apartment building’s fire sprinkler system extinguished a kitchen fire in a second-floor unit before fire crews arrived. The fire began when a simmering stovetop potpourri overheated, ignited and spread to an over-the-range microwave.

No one was injured.

Appleton Post-Crescent

February 2014

Eau Claire
St. John’s Apartments

The fire sprinkler system in the apartment building quickly put out a cooking fire. Fire officials said there was only $2,000 in damage.


January 2014

McCain Foods

The fire sprinkler system in the food processing plant put out a small fire in a commercial fryer prior to the arrival of fire crews. There was no damage reported.

Richard Trilling, Assistant Chief,
Grand Chute Fire Department

Pierce Manufacturing

The fire sprinkler system at the plant, which manufactures custom fire trucks, apparatus and equipment, extinguished a fire in a spray booth. The fire began when a spark from grinding metal ignited a filter wall.

The estimated loss was only $5,000.

Richard Trilling, Assistant Chief,
Grand Chute Fire Department

City of Madison
Glacier Hills Apartment Building

A single fire sprinkler specifically designed to protect a second-story balcony of the 41-unit apartment building extinguished a fire caused by improperly discarded smoking materials that ignited a real Christmas tree.

No one was injured and all occupants were able to return to their apartment units.

“This is a perfect example of how fire sprinkler systems limit damage and most importantly, save lives,” said a fire department news release. “A sprinkler activated, which triggered the building’s fire alarm system, notifying residents to evacuate.”

The apartment building was previously unsprinklered but was retrofit with fire sprinklers after it incurred $3.5 million in damages from a total loss fire in 2007. Read more: 2014 sprinkler save versus 2007 unsprinklered fire.

City of Madison Fire Department news release

December 2013

Milwaukee Country Club

The sprinkler system at the country club contained a first-floor dining room fire that was caused by a Christmas tree and kept it from spreading. No one was injured.

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel