VILLAGE OF LAKE DELTON, WI (June 9, 2019) – At approximately 6:00 p.m on Sunday, June 9, 2019, the Delton Fire Department was notified of a fire inside a condo unit at the Kalahari Resort. Upon arrival, firefighters confirmed that a kitchen fire had been fully extinguished by automatic fire sprinklers.

An occupant asleep in the condo at the time of the fire stated that she woke up to flames in the kitchen and observed that the sprinklers activated immediately.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a cooking fire. A teen occupant left the room and forgot to turn the stovetop burner off.

The Kalahari Resort remained open for business and guests were allowed to return to their condos approximately 45 minutes later. There was minor fire and water damage to the kitchen.

The Delton Fire Department thanked the Kalahari Resort management, security, and maintenance staff for their quick and professional response.

“This particular incident is another wonderful example of how sprinkler systems save lives and property. There were two people inside the condo when a volatile grease fire occurred but not a single person was injured and only the condo with the fire was affected.”

The Delton Fire Department was assisted on scene by the Kilbourn Fire Department (automatic mutual aid), Dells-Delton EMS, Lake Delton Police Department, and the Sauk County Sheriff’s Department.

Source: Delton Fire Department