JANESVILLE, WI ( September 14, 2018) – Fire sprinklers prevented a fire from spreading inside the Texas Road House restaurant in Janesville.

According to Battalion Chief Chris Lukas, the Janesville Fire Department received a call at 12:17 a.m. on Friday morning that flames and smoke were visible.

The fire was limited to the building’s exterior. Firefighters put out the fire within minutes of arriving. Sprinklers did activate and kept the fire from spreading inside the building, Lukas said.

The exterior of the building sustained fire damage, and the interior had some water damage. Estimates were not available.

Fire Marshal Sue North said the department wanted to use the fire as an example of how sprinklers can save lives and property. She recommended installing them inside homes.

Peter Freeman, the restaurant’s managing partner, estimated the restaurant lost about $3,000 in revenue. But after getting approval, he planned to reopen the restaurant Friday afternoon.

Freeman speculated the restaurant’s neon sign malfunctioned or short-circuited, causing the fire.

Source: GazetteXtra, Janesville